This benchmark was initially performed to measure how well Decibel Audio Player compares to other well-know Linux audio players. All of them were tested on the same system, which specifications are as follows:
|Computer:||Lenovo Thinkpad T60|
|CPU:||Intel Core2 CPU T7400 @ 2.16GHz|
|Operating System:||Fully updated Ubuntu 9.04 (as of the 14th of August 2009)|
|Desktop Environment:||Gnome 2.26.1|
Note that only library-based players were selected.
Three metrics are used: Startup time, RAM usage, and CPU usage. This section describes the exact methodology used to measure these values.
1) Install the player
2) Start htop
3) Start the player
4) Create the benchmark library and make sure it is actually loaded
Note: The benchmark library is composed of 9 137 tracks in many different formats (Ogg Vorbis, MP3, FLAC...). Its total size is 59 GB.
5) Close, restart, and close the player
6) Start a stopwatch
7) Start the player
8) When the player is fully loaded, stop the stopwatch
9) Write down the elapsed time
10) Close and restart the player
11) Write down the resident memory reported by htop for the player's process
12) Close and restart the player
13) Play the benchmark track
14) When the benchmark track is finished, write down the CPU time reported by htop for the player's process
Note: The benchmark track is a 4.4 MB Ogg Vorbis file (192 kpbs, 4 mn 50 s).
|Player||Version||Startup Time||RAM Usage||CPU Usage|
|Amarok||2.0.2||3.3 seconds||73.6 MB||21.78 seconds|
|Banshee||1.4.3||3.1 seconds||51.5 MB||47.05 seconds|
|Decibel Audio Player||1.01||1.1 seconds||28.1 MB||36.55 seconds|
|Exaile||0.2.99.3||3.7 seconds||64.9 MB||47.03 seconds|
|Listen||0.5||6.5 seconds||115 MB||44.02 seconds|
|Quod Libet||2.0||3.9 seconds||60.9 MB||40.38 seconds|
|Rhythmbox||0.12.0||2.5 seconds||39.9 MB||39.09 seconds|
|Songbird||1.2.0||4.2 seconds||74.5 MB||1 mn 31 seconds|
Note: The CPU usage when playing the benchmark track from the command line with GStreamer (using gst-launch) is 35.47 seconds.